Saturday, November 06, 2010

samsonite

Not too long ago, I could watch an episode of “Super Nanny” and feel a little puffed up. I’d think, my kids certainly don’t behave like that. My kids don’t climb counter tops, pitch fits, or pull down their pants in public. No way. My kids use their manners, listen, and obey. Wow. I must be an awesome mom.

Well, I take it all back.

Sam has taught me more about humility and patience than I ever cared to learn. He’s taught me that, despite your best and most consistent efforts, kids are kids. They make mistakes, and they require careful training and lots and lots of love. Sometimes the mushy kind and sometimes the tough kind.

Sam is a beautiful boy. He’s so smart and funny. He’s got the best sense of comedic timing—it blows me away. He’s sweet, too. He brings me flowers and offers up unsolicited hugs and sugars.

But he has his moments. Right now, I’m chalking it up to his age, but he turns three at the end of the month, so I’m not sure how much longer that particular explanation will hold up. He tends to be a little opinionated and a bit strong-willed, but I know that God can mold those characteristics into powerful tools used to change this world for the better. That’s my prayer. Lord, grow this boy into a godly man who loves you, seeks you, and turns others towards you.

Now, I know you’re not going to believe any of this once you glance down at these pictures. I admit, he’s a charmer, and there’s no resisting that smile of his. You’ve been warned.





But lest we overlook his sweetness, let me just indulge in some of the things I adore about my Sam-man:
  • He loves Woody and Buzz. Woody most, but Buzz is a really close second.
  • I never have to ask Sam what he wants for breakfast, 'cause I know it's gonna be waffles. Every. Single. Morning.
  • Poor thing. He loves yogurt and cheese sticks. He would eat them all day every day if I let him. Not a bad choice, right? I know, but I'm supposed to restrict his dairy. So not fair!
  • He calls his baby brother "Benfamin" and his sister "Tate." I love it.
  • He calls his super heroes "hoop heroes." Again, I love it.
  • He knows just about all of his letters. I think this is a big deal. He's TWO!
  • He's convinced that his Pops is terrified of owls (long story...sorry dad!), and he revels in any and every opportunity to frighten Pops with a "Hoo hoo."
  • He starts many a sentence with "Actually...." Can't explain why, but it cracks me up.
  • Rather than the contraction "won't," Sam prefers "willn't."
  • I nearly forgot to include this one which would have been a small tragedy because we think it's so hilarious. Each and every time we pray and give thanks for our food, Sam concludes the prayer with an ever-enthusiastic "HALLELUJAH!" Booming voice, hands in the hair, the whole bit. This kid for sure has COG blood running through his veins.
  • His favorite movie is Letter Factory. His favorite color is blue. His favorite book is Curious George. His favorite Bible story is Joshua and the battle of Jericho. His favorite girl is me :)
So, despite his occasional fits and frequent mischief, this little boy holds my heart. And he always will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home