Friday, January 06, 2006

Back in the Saddle Again...

Sort of. I returned to work this Monday, but my administration has allowed me to continue on part time (an enormous blessing.) But despite being away from Kate for only 4 hours, I have shed more than a tear or two. It's heartwrenching to think that I'm missing smiles and giggles and ahgoo's. And for all of you who think I'm being a drama queen (Stacy!), just wait. You'll soon know the agony of leaving your sweet baby with someone else. In my case, that "someone else" happens to be her daddy, and it's still a challenge.

Well...I think it's time for a Kate Update. For all of you Kate Elizabeth fans out there, our girl is growing! We took her to the doctor office this morning, and she is a whopping 14 lbs.!!!! And she's making all sorts of strides. Last night, I read her the book, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," and she was absolutely enthralled! And who wouldn't be? She was on the edge of her seat as we read about a particularly demanding little mouse who couldn't be content with just a cookie. Nope, he had to have a glass of milk, a nap, and a haircut! Kate kicked and giggled and studied each page...a thrill for her bookworm mother! She has also grown especially fond of her mobile (many thanks to NanaNana!).

But, it isn't all fun and games in the Burton household, or at least not in the Burton vehicles! Kate's aversion to her carseat has not lessened over time. She starts working up a good cry at first sight of the car, and the girl has some strong lungs! We recently took a road trip down to Miami, and, oh, what a ride! Kate screamed (not whimpered, not pouted, not even cried, but SCREAMED) for a solid hour and fifteen minutes. Fun times. She has certainly formed her opinions on her likes and dislikes! Likes: swing, mobile, nursing, books...Dislikes: carseat and bottles! Yes, our baby genius picked up the whole nursing thing like a pro, but the bottle...it's simply beneath her. She refuses all bottles, and believe me, we've tried all bottles. Her perseverance (notice I didn't say stubbornness lest Stephen says she's inherited it from me!) has required some adjustments on our part. Her dad brings her to the school so I can nurse her. I, of course, am fine with this set up because I get to see her in all of her mid-morning glory, but Stephen isn't quite as happy with the arrangement. He has no problem with his role as Mr. Mom (he's a natural), but he's not so thrilled about being a chauffeur, especially when his passenger is a screaming baby.

We miss our family. We miss our far-away friends. We miss the movie theater. But, all in all, life is pretty wonderful these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home